To Console or not to Console!
Console tables are versatile: perfect for small, narrow spaces, such as hallways and as separators between furniture. While they give you storage don’t cover them with clutter.
There are certain criteria you’ll need to consider when choosing a console:
- Console tables are perfect for hallways especially if small and narrow. Choose a design with drawers to hide mail, pens and keys and to make the room feel larger hang a mirror above.
- In an open-plan living space, use a console table to separate the seating area from the dining table. Placing two large lamps at either end will create a visual divide, or use the console as a drinks table and display your drinks when having a party.
- Use a console table to create a dressing table in a bedroom and place boxes underneath it for extra storage.
- If you are placing it up against a sofa, chair or piece of furniture, make sure it’s a complementary height.
Choose the right material:
- Wooden console tables are extremely popular, as they are robust and work in most schemes.
- Mirrored console tables will create a feminine boudoir feel in a bedroom.
- Glass or Perspex console tables will make a small space feel larger.
- Leather or metal tables are great for contemporary schemes.
Compare styles of console tables that offer function and for a household with small children consider buying half-moon tables.
Match a console table’s wood colour to the rest of the scheme unless you want the table to be a statement piece; then look for a table in a coloured finish that will complement the wall paint.
Pictures via DecorPad.com
Ana Aguilar-Corney is a columnist for Heart Home and authors the blog Let's Blog Design. Ana founded aguilarinteriors.com after studying at Inchbald School of Design. She lives in Lewes, a town that mirrors her: quirky with a deep history and a sense of fun that doesn't take itself too seriously. You can follow her on Twitter @aguilarinterior. Read more posts by Ana Aguilar.
Want fantastic competitions and special Heart Home reader offers?
Sign-up for our weekly email newsletter and we'll send you our favourite products and competitions.