Bringing the beach indoors.
If you are reading this then it means I am now enjoying the sunshine and sitting on the beach in Cascais with sand between my toes while watching waves rise and fall. Yes it’s that time of the year again when I take my September sabbatical back home in Portugal. And thinking of this that’s how I got inspired to tell you all about a themed beach room. The soft, subtle palette of the sun, sea and sky can transform a boring room into a relaxing paradise.
Follow these few simple tips to make the perfect beach themed room.
- Paint the room in one or two colours choosing from soft hues of white, beige, turquoise and blues.
- Add a splash of colour to your curtains and cushions; choose soft, buttery fabrics such as sateen or linen in pale shades of blue. Adorn your curtains and/or cushions with seashells.
- Give your dark furniture a lift by whitewashing and give them a “sea-weathered” look by roughing off the edges of whitewashed furniture with fine sandpaper.
- Adorn your walls large pictures from some of your favourite beach photos or purchase beach artwork; use light woods or whitewashed frames.
- And lastly add a few naturally woven baskets around the room.
Remember to light the room gently at night. Candles or other low mood lighting will be great in this theme and you there you have your own relaxing retreat.
Happy sunshine to all…
Ana Aguilar-Corney is a columnist for Heart Home and authors the blog Let's Blog Design. Ana founded aguilarinteriors.com after studying at Inchbald School of Design. She lives in Lewes, a town that mirrors her: quirky with a deep history and a sense of fun that doesn't take itself too seriously. You can follow her on Twitter @aguilarinterior. Read more posts by Ana Aguilar.
Want fantastic competitions and special Heart Home reader offers?
Sign-up for our weekly email newsletter and we'll send you our favourite products and competitions.